By Karl E. Wiegers, Karl Wiegers, K. Wiegers, Karl Eugene Wiegers
Number of Pages: 544
Pricing & Availability:Additional Details:
Product Type: Book
Publisher: Microsoft Press
Description: "Requirements" are essential for creating successful software because they let users and developers agree on what features will be delivered in new systems. Karl Wiegers's Software Requirements shows you how to define and get more out of software requirements with dozens of "best practices" and tips that make this book a valuable resource for both software project managers and developers. The book's commonsense approach provides exemplary project management skills tailored to gathering (and refining, implementing, and eventually tracking) software requirements. While the book often cites recent software engineering studies, the focus always returns to practical management techniques. A case study for a chemical tracking application frames the book, and most chapters begin with anecdotes that demonstrate situations in which users and developers misunderstand each other about a software project's ultimate goals. (If you've ever worked in the field, these stories will probably sound all too familiar.) This book offers hope, though, for improving your software design process, with dozens of tips on getting better design input from your customers and then using these requirements to generate a variety of design documents. There are numerous templates and sample documents too--a big help for the busy software manager. Several standout sections cover negotiating difficult steps in the process, particularly how to manage shifting requirements as projects move forward and keep the various users and stakeholders content throughout the software process. Late in the book, the author surveys today's software management tools and shows how to pick the right ones for your organization. Anchored by the author's considerable experience and software engineering expertise, this jargon-free and practical guide to software requirements can definitely give you the edge in managing software projects more efficiently. --Richard Dragan Topics covered: software requirements specifications (SRS); business and user requirements; risk management; the requirements process; sample documents and templates; requirements development: elicitation, analysis, specification, and verification; rights and responsibilities for software customers; best practices; project management tips; process assessment and improvement; types of users; product champions; use cases and other diagrams; tips for prototyping; managing requirements change; change centered boards (CCBs); evaluating and using requirements tools; requirements traceability matrix; impact analysis.
Fixed-Length Data Elements - Additional Material Characteristics: m d
Library of Congress Control Number
- LC control Number: 2002045512
- LC control Number: 2002045512
International Standard Book Number: 0585486891 (electronic bk.)
- Canceled/invalid ISBN: 0735618798
Library of Congress Call Number
- Classification number: QA76.76.D47
- Item number: W517 2003
- Item number: W517 2003b
- Item number: W517 2003eb
Dewey Decimal Classification Number
- Edition number: 21
- Edition number: 22
- Classification number: 005.1
- Classification number: 005.3
Main Entry - Personal Name
- Personal name: Wiegers, Karl Eugene,
- Dates associated with a name: 1953-
- Title: Software requirements
- Title: Software requirements :
- Title: Software requirements, second edition
- Remainder of title: practical techniques for gathering and managing requirements throughout the product development cycle /
- Statement of responsibility, etc.: Karl E. Wiegers.
- Medium: [electronic resource] /
- Medium: [electronic resource] :
Edition Statement: 2nd ed.
Publication, Distribution, etc. (Imprint)
- Place of publication, distribution, etc.: Redmond, Wash. :
- Name of publisher, distribution, etc.: Microsoft Press,
- Date of publication, distribution, etc.: 2003
- Date of publication, distribution, etc.: 2003.
- Date of publication, distribution, etc.: c2003.
- Place of manufacture: (Norwood, Mass. :
- Manufacturer: Books24x7.com [generator])
- Extent: xix, 516 p. :
- Other physical details: ill. ;
- Dimensions: 23 cm.
General Note: Digitized and made available by: Books24x7.com.
: Title from title screen.
Bibliography, etc. Note
- Bibliography: Includes bibliographical references (p. 491-504) and index.
- Bibliography: Includes biographical references and index.
Restrictions on Access Note
- Terms governing access: Access limited to subscribers.
- Terms governing access: Licensed for access by U. of T. users.
Type of Computer File or Data Note
- Type of computer file: Text.
Additional Physical Form available Note: Available also in a print ed.
- Type of reproduction: Electronic reproduction.
- Place of reproduction: Boulder, Colo. :
- Agency responsible for reproduction: NetLibrary,
- Date of reproduction: 2004.
- Note about reproduction: "Microsoft 2."
- Note about reproduction: Access may be limited to NetLibrary affiliated libraries.
- Note about reproduction: Available via World Wide Web.
System Details Note: Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
Issuing Body Note: Digitized and made available by: Books24x7.com.
Subject Added Entry - Topical Term
- Topical term or geographic name entry element: Computer software
- Topical term or geographic name entry element: Software Design.
- General subdivision: Development.
Index Term - Genre/Form
- Source of term: local.
- Genre/form data or focus term: Electronic books.
Added Entry - Corporate Name
- Corporate name or jurisdiction name as entry element: Books24x7, Inc.
- Corporate name or jurisdiction name as entry element: NetLibrary, Inc.
Additional Physical Form Entry
- Qualifying information: Original
- Record control number: (DLC) 2002045512
- Record control number: (OCoLC)51323001.
- International Standard Book Number: 0735618798