|The Machine in the Garden: Technology and the Pastoral Ideal in America|
By Leo Marx
Number of Pages: 430
Pricing & Availability:Additional Details:
Product Type: Book
Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA
Description: For over four decades, Leo Marx's work has focused on the relationship between technology and culture in 19th- and 20th-century America. His research helped to define--and continues to give depth to--the area of American studies concerned with the links between scientific and technological advances, and the way society and culture both determine these links. The Machine in the Garden fully examines the difference between the "pastoral" and "progressive" ideals which characterized early 19th-century American culture, and which ultimately evolved into the basis for much of the environmental and nuclear debates of contemporary society.This new edition is appearing in celebration of the 35th anniversary of Marx's classic text. It features a new afterword by the author on the process of writing this pioneering book, a work that all but founded the discipline now called American Studies.
Library of Congress Control Number
- LC control Number: 99034697
International Standard Book Number: 0195133501 (hbk.)
: 019513351X (pbk.)
Geographic Area Code: n-us---
Library of Congress Call Number
- Classification number: E169.1
- Item number: .M35 2000
Dewey Decimal Classification Number
- Edition number: 21
- Classification number: 973
Main Entry - Personal Name
- Personal name: Marx, Leo,
- Dates associated with a name: 1919-
- Title: The machine in the garden :
- Remainder of title: technology and the pastoral ideal in America /
- Statement of responsibility, etc.: Leo Marx.
Publication, Distribution, etc. (Imprint)
- Place of publication, distribution, etc.: New York :
- Place of publication, distribution, etc.: Oxford ;
- Name of publisher, distribution, etc.: Oxford University Press,
- Date of publication, distribution, etc.: 2000.
- Extent: 414 p. ;
- Dimensions: 22 cm.
General Note: Originally published: New York : Oxford University Press, 1964.
Bibliography, etc. Note
- Bibliography: Includes bibliographical references and index.
Subject Added Entry - Topical Term
- Topical term or geographic name entry element: Nature
- Topical term or geographic name entry element: Technology
- General subdivision: Social aspects
- Geographic subdivision: United States.
Subject Added Entry - Geographic Name
- Geographic name: United States
- General subdivision: Civilization.