|The Mythology of Crime and Criminal Justice|
By Victor E. Kappeler, Gary W. Potter
Number of Pages: 428
Pricing & Availability:Additional Details:
Product Type: Book
Publisher: Waveland Pr Inc
Description: Now in its fourth edition, this widely used and superior alternative to traditional criminal justice books continues both effectively and clearly to debunk myths cited in the popular literature regarding the problems of criminality in the U.S. It serves as a solid foundation for readers to probe beneath popular notions of crime, criminals, and crime control. Each well-written chapter provides a distinct avenue for exploring misconceptions about specific crimes or particular aspects of the system. Kappeler and Potter’s provocative examination of the realities of crime and justice is a must read for anyone serious about crime, criminal justice, or criminology. Not-for-sale instructor resource material available to college and university faculty only; contact publisher directly.
Library of Congress Control Number
- LC control Number: 2005301147
International Standard Book Number: 1577663586
Geographic Area Code: n-us---
Library of Congress Call Number
- Classification number: HV6789
- Item number: .K37 2005
Main Entry - Personal Name
- Personal name: Kappeler, Victor E.
- Title: The mythology of crime and criminal justice /
- Title: The mythology of crime and criminal justice.
- Statement of responsibility, etc.: Victor E. Kappeler, Gary W. Potter.
Edition Statement: 4th ed.
: 4th ed. /
- Remainder of edition statement: Victor E. Kappeler, Gary W. Potter.
Publication, Distribution, etc. (Imprint)
- Place of publication, distribution, etc.: Long Grove, Ill. :
- Place of publication, distribution, etc.: Long Grove, Ill. : Waveland Press, c2005.
- Name of publisher, distribution, etc.: Waveland Press,
- Date of publication, distribution, etc.: c2005.
- Extent: xi, 428 p. :
- Other physical details: ill. ;
- Dimensions: 23 cm.
General Note: Rev. ed. of: The mythology of crime and criminal justice / Victor E. Kappeler, Mark Blumberg, Gary W. Potter. 3rd ed.
Bibliography, etc. Note
- Bibliography: Includes bibliographical references (p. 373-406) and index.
Formatted Contents Note: The social construction of crime myths -- Crime waves, fears, and social reality -- The myth and fear of missing children -- Myth and murder : the serial killer panic -- Of stalkers and murder : spreading myth to common crime -- Organized crime : the myth of an underworld empire -- Corporate crime and "higher immorality" -- Apocalypse now : the lost war on drugs -- Juvenile superpredators : the myths of killer kids, dangerous schools, and a youth crime wave -- Battered and blue crime fighters : myths and misconceptions of police work -- Order in the courts : the myth of equal justice -- Cons and country clubs : the mythical utility of punishment -- The myth of a lenient criminal justice system -- Capital punishment : the myth of murder as effective crime control -- Merging myths and misconceptions of crime and justice.
Subject Added Entry - Topical Term
- Topical term or geographic name entry element: Crime
- Topical term or geographic name entry element: Criminal justice, Administration of
- Geographic subdivision: United States.
Added Entry - Personal Name
- Personal name: Potter, Gary W.